Sunday, March 30, 2014

Trumpet Daffodils

An 8 x 10 inch oil painting of trumpet daffodils by Þorgrímur Andri Einarsson


Easter is almost here which means that these little beautiful flowers start popping up in stores everywhere. We call them Easter Lilies (Páskaliljur) but in english I think they are called Trumpet Daffodils. I prefer that name since these aren´t lilies at all.

The main colors I used for the background in this painting were Viridian, Transparent Oxide Red and Cadmium Orange. I painted a very thin transparent layer of these colors to begin with, and then wiped out the spots where the flowers came with a paper towel damped in mineral spirits. That gave me the basic composition. As the painting progressed I added more of that under wash color to build up the values that I wanted behind the flowers.  I was surprised to see how much green was in the shadow of the yellow leaves. For this I used a mixture of transparent oxide red, with green and yellow, but this was mixed optically on the canvas which makes for a wonderful lively color effect (to my eyes that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment