Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Vinter at Lake Helluvatn

oil painting of a red cabin by lake helluvatn in iceland

I did this painting of the red cabin about a month ago. I have been hiking at lake Helluvatn many times before, both for my own enjoyment and also for painting. I love to paint there. It is a large lake right out side of Reykjavík surrounded by small forrest´s and lots of summer cottages.

This particular one grabbed my attention early on, but I always put off painting it for some reason. I think I was saving it for the right moment, and anyway there are so many different subjects there so I was in no rush. I did take a little artistic license with this house, especially the placement and shapes of the windows on the building, but I don´t think anyone will mind that. All in all I am pleased with the piece, it was actually larger than this, but I ended up cropping about 3 inches from the bottom of the canvas. I felt it was stronger like this with less foreground showing.

The colors for the red of the cabin are mainly: Terra Rosa, Cadmium Red, Transparent Oxide Red and White. The colors for the background, sky and snow are mostly: Terra Rosa, Cobalt blue, Yellow Ochre pale with white and some Viridian.

I wanted to do a painting that showed off this beautiful building and I am happy I finally gave it a shot. I am looking forward to the next time our paths cross, perhaps when that red of the building will be complimented by all the greens that summer will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment