Sunday, April 6, 2014

Litli Botn



Littli Botn is an abandoned farm deep in Hval-fjord in a valley called Botnsdalur. It is very close to the tallest waterfall in Iceland called Glymur which I have often visited and painted a few times. This painting of the farm is a larger work done from smaller sketches. I was lucky because just as I was beginning to sketch, the sun was coming round the building which made for a dramatic play of light and shadow. I was fascinated by all that texture both in the concrete of the old building as well as in the grassy patches of the foreground. 
As I was painting on location I was visited by some very curious sheep. We have more sheep than people here in Iceland so your quite likely to run into them in the wild. At one point they were so close that I was starting to be a little concerned.  But when I stood up to take a picture of them they decided they had had enough of art for one day and ran off.

No comments:

Post a Comment